Spire Refugees
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ubuntu 10.10

2 posters

Go down

Ubuntu 10.10 Empty Ubuntu 10.10

Post by Neo Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:18 pm

Hi All,
I am wondering how fast does the latest Ubuntu boot?
I've heard boot times in the sub 20 sec, and even sub 10 sec.

I've heard that Kubuntu is a little slower in booting up that Ubuntu.

Can anyone confirm these numbers?

Right now the fastest booting distro I have is Tiny Core 3.1 clocking in at 15 sec.
However I currently am unable to get my printer installed and TC is a pain in the A$$ to set up, isn't nearly as feature rich as Ubuntu - the community is hit or miss - sometimes you find good friendly helpful people, other times you get told to RTFM!

I'm thinking if I have to put up with all of this for a 5 second difference in boot times then it's not worth it - I may as well install Ubuntu if I just want to quickly check my e-mail and perhaps print off something.
Neo
Neo

Back to top Go down

Ubuntu 10.10 Empty Re: Ubuntu 10.10

Post by Neo Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:55 pm

Neo wrote:Hi All,
I am wondering how fast does the latest Ubuntu boot?
I've heard boot times in the sub 20 sec, and even sub 10 sec.

I've heard that Kubuntu is a little slower in booting up that Ubuntu.

Can anyone confirm these numbers?

Right now the fastest booting distro I have is Tiny Core 3.1 clocking in at 15 sec.
However I currently am unable to get my printer installed and TC is a pain in the A$$ to set up, isn't nearly as feature rich as Ubuntu - the community is hit or miss - sometimes you find good friendly helpful people, other times you get told to RTFM!

I'm thinking if I have to put up with all of this for a 5 second difference in boot times then it's not worth it - I may as well install Ubuntu if I just want to quickly check my e-mail and perhaps print off something.

Burned it, tried it, hated it.

I just don't like Gnome.

As I said before, I sooner run Windows than Gnome.

I'm a KDE man through and through.
Neo
Neo

Back to top Go down

Post by Neo Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:00 pm

Here's an update for anyone who cares.

I have found that PCLinuxOS 2010.07 performs slightly better than Mepis 8.5.
I could post on the Mepis forums and get 8.5 humming along just perfectly, but it just happens to be easier with PCLOS in that I don't have to do anything.

Now while I really do like the Mepis forums (they are amazing), I have currently set PCLOS as my default OS.

After much work I gave up on Sabayon 5.4 because I couldn't get my printer working. Their forums are pretty good, but I have found Sulfur to be more quirky than good ol' Synaptic. And they lack the ability to login as root or even open files as root - which makes fixing some issues a major pain.

Tiny Core is a real pain in the A$$ to get set up and their forums, although usually good, you can run into the occasional person who tells you to RTFM.
The one saving grace of TC is that it boots very fast (15 sec which is twice as fast as PCLOS).
The desktop is minimal at best and I do miss the functionality of KDE. I sure I could add KDE or some other desktop, but then my boot time would increase to the point where I might as well be using a full blown OS.
Neo
Neo

Back to top Go down

Post by Neo Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:42 pm

Update Oct. 31, 2010:

PCLinuxOS 2010 is now my main OS.
I've had odd problems with Mepis 8.5 - Synaptic tells me it is "Broken".

Never could get my printer installed in either Sabayon or Tiny Core (although I must say the TC community sure has become much friendlier and helpful than when I first started posting).

I am now exploring creating a remasted PCLOS and installing it to a USB stick.
Neo
Neo

Back to top Go down

Post by StanTheMan Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:44 am

I haven't checked this forum for a while, but glad to see you posting some interesting stuff.
I am just tryinhg out SimplyMEPIS 10.9.75 . Similar to Debian Squeeze but using KDE 4.4 .
Yes the MEPIS forums are very friendly. I don't like the KDE 4.4 widget system. I can navigate a lot easier with Gnome.
My work horse distro right now is Linux-Mint 10 mainly because its repositories are so vast. I can install Google Earth with one click , and my favorite Seamonkey internet suite.
The only distro that I find loads fast is PeppermintOS , but its menu is very restricted.
Ubuntu 10.10 doesn;t boot any faster thn the average.
I installed UberStudent and Ultimate Edition. They are both based on Ubuntu 10.10 but they are loaded with a lot of graphics and applications and both use up around 9 GB of har drive space.

StanTheMan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down