Spire Refugees
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Intel machine and GeForce video cards

2 posters

Go down

Intel machine and GeForce video cards Empty Intel machine and GeForce video cards

Post by Dr.C Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:09 pm

One of the problems I have with Linux is on my Intel HP Computer. The graphics card is build into the mother board (810i) and I've added GeForce 6200 video card.

In windows, at boot up, the 810i is shut down to allow the GeForce to boot. But, in Linux, the 810i will not shut down, the screen will go blank, and the GeForce is not enabled.

The only program I found is Pclinuos Gnome which will complete the cycle and allow the Geforce to boot while shutting the 810i down.

I can install any Linux Os but upon first reboot the problem will appear. Changing the bios from on-board to PCI doens't seem to help. Any suggestions?
Dr.C
Dr.C

Back to top Go down

Intel machine and GeForce video cards Empty Re: Intel machine and GeForce video cards

Post by knuckle Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:30 am

You installed the nvidia drivers before the card?

remove card--boot machine with your favorite distro,install nvidia support (ubuntu,fedora,puppy,and many others have it) shut down replace card reboot--should work fine (may not even have to remove the card just download and reboot--not 100% sure tho)

hope this helps--------------knuckle

knuckle

Back to top Go down

Intel machine and GeForce video cards Empty Re: Intel machine and GeForce video cards

Post by knuckle Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:45 am

incase you have a distro that doesn"t prepackage the driver you can also do this

Download the driver file from the NVIDIA website (www.nvidia.com/page/drivers.html ).
Launch a Terminal by selecting "Programs," "Accessories," and "Terminal."Change the base directory to wherever the NVIDIA driver file is located
by executing a "cd" command with your directory specified (for instance:
"cd /Home/Downloads/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-190.53-pkg#.run").

Start the NVIDIA driver script by executing the following command:
"sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-190.53-pkg#.run".

then just follow the directions in the install wizard

Read more: How to Use a GeForce Graphics Card on Linux | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_6182078_use-geforce-graphics-card-linux.html#ixzz0wOnHhdyq

good luck-----------knuckle
<li id="jsArticleStep1"></li>

Last edited by knuckle on Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:56 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added link)

knuckle

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr.C Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:38 am

Thanks, I'll give it a try.
Dr.C
Dr.C

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum