Spire Refugees
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sabayon 5.4

3 posters

Go down

Sabayon 5.4 Empty Sabayon 5.4

Post by Neo Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:43 pm

I am trying the live DVD of Sabayon 5.4 and WOW is it ever nice!
Everything I've thrown at it just works - on-line video, on-line radio, even the size of the clock (finally somebody listened)!
I am really impressed with it.
They are using KDE 4.5.1.
Hey maybe it's time I figured out what all the hoopla is regarding these widgets and have some fun with this distro!
I Like, I Like, I Like...
Neo
Neo

Back to top Go down

Sabayon 5.4 Empty Re: Sabayon 5.4

Post by Neo Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:31 pm

Neo wrote:I am trying the live DVD of Sabayon 5.4 and WOW is it ever nice!
Everything I've thrown at it just works - on-line video, on-line radio, even the size of the clock (finally somebody listened)!
I am really impressed with it.
They are using KDE 4.5.1.
Hey maybe it's time I figured out what all the hoopla is regarding these widgets and have some fun with this distro!
I Like, I Like, I Like...

After attempting to install Sabayon 5.4...

I NO Like, I NO Like, I NO Like...

It crashed during the last phase of the install and made a F**king Mess of everything.

I had to reinstall PCLOS just to get Grub back.

Grrr...
Neo
Neo

Back to top Go down

Post by Neo Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:32 pm

Finally got it installed and working.
It is pretty sweet.

Unfortunately a careless mistake on my end [hd(0,2) does not = sda2 !!!] caused me to lose my main OS and ALL of my files.
I hadn't installed a new OS in over a year.

Yeah I know, Backup, Backup, Backup.
Or in this case Stupid, Stupid, Stupid.

Well as a result, I wiped out several OS that I wasn't using or didn't like and now have Sabayon 5.4, MEPIS 8.5 & 8.0, PCLOS 2010.7 & 2009.2, Vector 6 KDE and Tiny Core 3.1.

I think I'll make MEPIS 8.5 my main OS once I get VLC installed (no small task on this particular OS) and my printer installed.

If it works as well as I think it does I'll say bu bye to MEPIS 8.0 and PCLOS 2009.2.

Tiny Core is proving to be a real pain in the ass so I may dump it and install a lightweight OS for when I'm in a rush to just check an e-mail.

For what it's worth, PCLOS 2010 loads much faster than MEPIS 8.5, but I much prefer 8.5 to 2010.

Peace.
Neo
Neo

Back to top Go down

Post by hqlinux Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:24 am

For what it's worth...

I know that this is too late for you Neo, but for others who may come across this thread in the future...

As for me and my house... I use hard drive racks... they are easy to install, cheap, and the smaller hard drives (250 GB or so) are available for a song... I use one rack per OS... In that way, even if I do make a mistake, and believe me I have made them, no real harm done.

I have my network set up so as I am finished loading a brand new OS, I can drag and drop ALL of my data files over to the new OS from a different OS... When you think about it... it is the ultimate backup solution...I have around a dozen hard drive racks, both IDE and SATA, and they ALL have pretty much the same data files loaded on them, including pictures of my precious grand kids... Smile . The odds of all of these drives going bad at the same time are infinitesimal... and I use USB keys to backup my more recent files that I add or modify. In that way, I can incrementally backup all the different hard drives as I put them in the computers and fire them up...

Food for thought... Me-Myself-I of the Lindows and *spire days gave me the idea as to have two receiver racks installed on the same computer so as to have one as the "master" and the other as a "slave" which is kinda what I did on my new computer... only I got two 2TB hard drives configured as a RAID 1 array, so I have a backup of my data backup that keeps itself constantly backed up and updated...

And of course there is the external USB hard drive that I drag and drop my data files to from time to time as well.

Moral of this epistle you ask??? Have a backup plan, use it... and as for me and my household... NEVER EVER set up dual boot (or greater) hard drives... You are building a house of cards that will ultimately come a tumbling down... sooner or later, but will definitely happen, I can guarantee that fact... Cool Wink

Harvey
hqlinux
hqlinux
Insider
Insider

Back to top Go down

Post by Neo Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:52 am

hqlinux wrote:For what it's worth...

I know that this is too late for you Neo, but for others who may come across this thread in the future...

As for me and my house... I use hard drive racks... they are easy to install, cheap, and the smaller hard drives (250 GB or so) are available for a song... I use one rack per OS... In that way, even if I do make a mistake, and believe me I have made them, no real harm done.

I have my network set up so as I am finished loading a brand new OS, I can drag and drop ALL of my data files over to the new OS from a different OS... When you think about it... it is the ultimate backup solution...I have around a dozen hard drive racks, both IDE and SATA, and they ALL have pretty much the same data files loaded on them, including pictures of my precious grand kids... Smile . The odds of all of these drives going bad at the same time are infinitesimal... and I use USB keys to backup my more recent files that I add or modify. In that way, I can incrementally backup all the different hard drives as I put them in the computers and fire them up...

Food for thought... Me-Myself-I of the Lindows and *spire days gave me the idea as to have two receiver racks installed on the same computer so as to have one as the "master" and the other as a "slave" which is kinda what I did on my new computer... only I got two 2TB hard drives configured as a RAID 1 array, so I have a backup of my data backup that keeps itself constantly backed up and updated...

And of course there is the external USB hard drive that I drag and drop my data files to from time to time as well.

Moral of this epistle you ask??? Have a backup plan, use it... and as for me and my household... NEVER EVER set up dual boot (or greater) hard drives... You are building a house of cards that will ultimately come a tumbling down... sooner or later, but will definitely happen, I can guarantee that fact... Cool Wink

Harvey

LOL... yeah I should have used a BACKUP plan. Sigh. Embarassed
Neo
Neo

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnP Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:02 pm

hqlinux wrote:For what it's worth...

Harvey

Hi Harvey, I learned that the hard way also some time back. For my own reasons, I have been using laptops for a while. I quickly learned what models have easily swappable drives.
I have a Toughbook CF-51 and a Dell D-830 and both can be swapped out in moments! The Dell doesn't really need caddies for the SATA drives. That's a plus since it doesn't get moved much.
Want to try a new Distro? Put in the test drive. At the moment, I have 5 drives and it's working real nice. For backups, I have been using Clonezilla to an external USB drive. Works real nice.
As my 'allowance' permits, I want to set up a simple server on the network using a RAID array also. I have too many projects at the moment! Laughing JohnP
JohnP
JohnP

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum