Spire Refugees
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UBUNTU

3 posters

Go down

UBUNTU Empty UBUNTU

Post by knuckle Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:12 pm

Hi All--------------

This is in a way a bit of Linspire heritage,as Linspire/Freespire based their final release on Ubuntu 7 "the Feisty Fawn" and during that bit of corroboration Ubuntu gained a bit of the "Linspire" mind set.Infact after CNR was acquired by Xandros (which happened before I installed mine) I got the synaptic and pointed at Ubuntu's repositories. Ubuntu "Hardy Heron" was the base for the Good OS and that distro reminded me much of Linspire.But I digress.

I imagine that Ubuntu is a good choice for Spire refugees (especially with the package store modeled after CNR) and can easily picture a Spire of today looking and feeling much like Ubuntu's Lucid Lynx.Many of Linspire's top people migrated over when it closed doors,bringing many of the ideas that made Linspire popular with them.

Easy to install and navigate with some of the best support available by forum wikki and help manuals Ubuntu has now taken Spies place as an introduction model to Linux,it has been designed so that newbies will love its simplicity and tekkies its structure and adaptability.

There are so many articles about Linspire "wanna -be linux" and its use of proprietary software yadda yadda but look at the popular Distros today--they are following the lead that satisfied the customer and that is Spire's heritage to linux.

knuckle

Back to top Go down

UBUNTU Empty Re: UBUNTU

Post by hqlinux Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:55 am

I will agree with you that Ubuntu is a mighty fine distro... I have it loaded on one of my racks as a matter of fact.

However, let us not forget that there are several other alternatives that are certainly worth exploring in the Linux world as well.

Here is my short list, and all of them are either installed on a computer directly (I don't do dual boot) or are loaded on individual hard drive racks... In no particular order:

Mepis
Fedora (both the KDE version and Gnome version)
Mint
Ubuntu
PhoenixOS (Ray has done a tremendous job making this a Freespire type distro)

Any one of the above would serve the needs of 99% of the people right off the bat with the default install. Each one is extremely easy to set up to your personal tastes, easy to update, easy to find and install other software, and all have awesome forums for help or just chatting.

Moral of story you ask???

Linux is like Baskin & Robbins... it has lots and lots of AWESOME flavors... UBUNTU Icon_wink UBUNTU Icon_lol

Harvey

PS... CW... I didn't mention Debian UBUNTU Icon_eek UBUNTU Icon_eek due to the fact that it is a little intimidating to the newer user, but as you know... It's the King of Kings in the Linux world... LOL UBUNTU Lol UBUNTU Lol UBUNTU Lol
hqlinux
hqlinux
Insider
Insider

Back to top Go down

Post by knuckle Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:40 am

Ahh Debian---lets see,Ubuntu and Mepis are based on Debian and Mint and Phoenix are based on Ubuntu with Fedora being the only independent so Debian gets 5 points and the folks at Fedora get 1

yes Debian is king

knuckle

Back to top Go down

Post by hqlinux Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:13 pm

knuckle wrote:Ahh Debian---lets see,Ubuntu and Mepis are based on Debian and Mint and Phoenix are based on Ubuntu with Fedora being the only independent so Debian gets 5 points and the folks at Fedora get 1

yes Debian is king

Of course let us not forget that Fedora is based on Red Hat, which arguably is the 800 pound gorilla in the business world... UBUNTU Icon_wink UBUNTU Icon_smile

Harvey
hqlinux
hqlinux
Insider
Insider

Back to top Go down

Post by Cloudy Wizzard Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:25 pm

hqlinux wrote:

PS... CW... I didn't mention Debian UBUNTU Icon_eek UBUNTU Icon_eek due to the fact that it is a little intimidating to the newer user, but as you know... It's the King of Kings in the Linux world... LOL UBUNTU Lol UBUNTU Lol UBUNTU Lol

Well, I guess even now that Debian is easier to install and use you are correct.
When I advise Linux to a newbie I don't point them to Debian, but if they are advanced it's a whole other thing.
Cloudy Wizzard
Cloudy Wizzard
Insider
Insider

Back to top Go down

Post by hqlinux Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:35 am

From Distrowatch:

http://distrowatch.com/6234

Robbie Williamson has announced Ubuntu 10.04.1, the first maintenance update to Ubuntu's 10.04 LTS release: "This
release includes updated server, desktop, and alternate installation
CDs for the i386 and amd64 architectures. This is the first maintenance
release of Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, which continues to be supported with
maintenance updates and security fixes until April 2013 on desktops and
April 2015 on servers. Numerous post-release updates have been
integrated, and a number of bugs in the installation system have been
corrected. These include security updates and corrections for other
high-impact bugs, with a focus on maintaining stability and
compatibility with Ubuntu 10.04 LTS." See the release announcement for further information. A complete list of post-release updates will be
made available tomorrow. Download (SHA256): ubuntu-10.04.1-desktop-i386.iso (686MB, torrent), ubuntu-10.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso (686MB, torrent).

Harvey
hqlinux
hqlinux
Insider
Insider

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down